On June 11, 2021, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (“HHS”) revised the reporting requirements for Provider Relief Funds (“PRF”). Key updates include:
- The period of availability of funds is based on the date the payment is received (rather than requiring all payments be used by June 30, 2021, regardless of when they were received).
- Recipients are required to report for each Payment Received Period in which they received one or more payments exceeding, in the aggregate, $10,000 (rather than $10,000 cumulatively across all PRF payments).
- Recipients will have a 90-day period to complete reporting (rather than a 30-day reporting period).
- The reporting requirements are now applicable to recipients of the Skilled Nursing Facility and Nursing Home Infection Control Distribution, in addition to General and other Targeted Distributions.
- The PRF Reporting Portal will open for providers to start submitting information on July 1, 2021.
Summary of Reporting Requirements:
Payment Received Period
(Payments Exceeding $10,000 Deadline to Reporting
in Aggregate Received) Use Funds Time Period
Period From 4/10/2020 6/30/2021 7/1 to 9/30/2021
1 to 6/30 /2020
Period From 7/1/2020 12/31/2021 1/1 to 3/31/2022
2 to 12/31/2020
Period From 1/1/2021 6/30/2022 7/1 to 9/30/2022
3 to 6/30/2021
Period From 7/1/2021 12/31/2022 1/1 to 3/31/2023
4 to 12/31/2021
If you have not registered in the PRF Reporting Portal, you should complete the registration in preparation of uploading the required information.
Details about Reporting Requirements
To be an allowable expense under the PRF, the expense must be used to prevent, prepare for and respond to coronavirus. All expenses need to be supported by adequate documentation. Providers are required to maintain documents to substantiate that these funds were used for health care-related expenses or lost revenues attributable to coronavirus, and that those expenses or losses were not reimbursed from other sources and other sources were not obligated to reimburse them. The burden of proof is on the provider to ensure that documentation is maintained to show that expenses are to prevent, prepare for and respond to coronavirus. Read examples of allowable expenses for Provider Relief Funds – PDF for more information.
PRF REPORTING ON THE AGENDA AT THE HOSPICE FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT ACADEMY IN LAS VEGAS
The Health Group, LLC has scheduled the 2021 Hospice Financial Management Academy for September 13-14, 2021, at the Paris Las Vegas Hotel and Casino. As part of the program, a session will be held on PRF Reporting including reporting qualified expenses and lost revenues, including alternate lost revenue computations; just in time to potentially assist you in the submission due on or before September 30, 2021. Details and registration information is available here. Space is limited. If you are planning on attending, we encourage you to register early with the program and the hotel. We have secured very attractive rates with the hotel. This will be a busy week in Las Vegas as the Las Vegas Raiders open their 2021 schedule at their new stadium on Monday night, September 13, 2021.